I’m reading “The Furious Longing of God” a great book by Brennan Manning. In it, he talks about when we learn to understand that we belong to God and He actually loves us. This may possibly be one of the strongest verses in Scripture:
“I belong to my beloved and his desire is for me.” – Song 7:10
There’s a list from the book of a few amazing things that happen when we take this truth to heart. My top 7 are listed below:
- The drumbeats of doom in your heard will be replaced by a song in your heart, which could lead to a twinkle in your eye.
- You will not be dependent on the company of others to ease your loneliness, for He is Emmanuel–God with us.
- The praise of others will not send your spirit soaring, nor will their criticism plunge you into the pit. Their rejection may make you sick, but it will not be a sickness unto death.
- In a significant interior development, you will move from I should pray to I must pray.
- You will live with an awareness that the Father not only loves you, but likes you.
- You will stop comparing yourself with others…
- Off and on throughout the day you will just know that you are being seen by Jesus with a gaze of infinite tenderness.
In another place in the book, Manning invites us to take a few moments each day to remember and recount to ourselves that we are His and His desire is for us. What a lovely idea! I dare you to try today!