The ability to cast vision, lead and organize is a gift from God. Check out what that means.
I once wrote “administration is a holy gift from God” in an email and someone asked me to explain. Here’s what I wrote in response:
- “Administration” is defined as “the process or activity of running a business or organization.” It can also be defined as “The management of public affairs; government.” With that being said, here are a few Scriptural precedences for administration. The Greek found in Scripture is kubernesis, which refers to “steering a ship” “ruling” or “governing.”
- It’s a good and useful thing, so it must be from God. Just as James 1:17 says “Every good and perfect thing comes from above.”
- It’s a theme on God’s heart throughout Scripture. God gives good gifts of all kinds. Any form of leadership and management requires some kind of administration. You can see examples of this starting in Genesis and going all the way through the New Testament. Examples include Joseph’s wisdom in managing the food crisis in Genesis 46, Moses‘ leading and organizing millions of people to leave Egypt, Nehemiah organizing a rebuilding of the wall, Paul’s organization of churches all over Europe and Asia, the 12 organizing the people in Acts 6, and Jesus gathering the 12 and organizing them to basically dominate the world with the gospel after he went back to heaven.
- It’s directly in the Bible. Paul labels it as a gift in 1 Corinthians 12:28, and actually, in this list, it comes before speaking in tongues. Some Bibles translate it “administration” and others call it “government” which fits with our original definition quite nicely!
- Here are some more resources to check out: Paul Manwaring at Bethel has written and spoken a ton on Administration. He’s actually offering a class on it that Steven and I are taking. We’ve got PDFs of his book (that he gives through the class) if you’re interested in learning about it more specifically. Here’s a 7 Minute preview (it’s a video, watch it :-). One quote, “Administration without the supernatural will kill a move of God. Supernatural without administration is unable to pass it on to the next generation.”
- Here’s an overview of spiritual gifts in general. My point in this link is that while this is a list from Scripture, I don’t think spiritual gifts are just limited to these. It’s a full circle to my first bullet point, every good and perfect thing comes from God. There’s a podcast from Kris Valloton I can find if you’d like more info.
Essentially, the gift of administration is an important part of the church, or any organization, for that matter. If you have that gift, you’re a blessing from God to your place of work and to your church. Don’t let anyone look down on that. We need you. Some of us (including me) who lack this gift, need you desperately. Don’t give up on us because we’re disorganized. We need you.