I’ve been thinking a lot recently about some of my personal hopes and aspirations surrounding 2018. Already, we’re two weeks in and good things are happening. Here are a few of my thoughts on the year. These are not in any particular order :-).
- 2018 has been pronounced as a year of jubilee (emancipation and restoration), or celebration. We are expecting that God’s going to do great things this year.
- I’m excited about reading the Bible. I’ve always loved Scripture (I’m a Bible and Theology major for heaven’s sake), but there’s something special about this year. As a church family, we’re going to read through the entire Bible starting in March. And I have the privilege of leading us through a sermon series in which we learn how to understand and apply Scripture in our lives for the course of an entire year!
- Jamie and I are reading (albeit slowly) Emotionally Healthy Leader. Growing together with Jamie is something that excites me greatly and will happen more in 2018!
- Our church is shifting its focus to put meeting together in groups at the forefront. Our aim is to focus on discipleship through these groups and to help people grow personally (in worship, prayer, Scripture), in community (through sharing and leadership development), and on mission with God’s heart for the world (through various trainings as well as opportunities to serve and minister). Small groups will be one of the primary areas in which God meets us this year.
- In realigning our strategy, I’m spending a lot of time crafting the model for our cafe’s and church plants. We already have a second location open. Throughout this year, we’ll begin adding various church ministries like small groups, outreaches and eventually Sunday services. There’s already a buzz of anticipation!
- I feel that God has spoken to me personally about the importance of continuing to strengthen my coaching and mentoring relationships, both the ones in which I am coaching and the ones in which I am being coached. One amazing fruit that’s come from this already is a partnership with a professional coaching friend who’s walking me through a ten year career plan. Our first conversation helped me land on three main areas of focus for my life moving forward: coaching relationships, strategy development, and musical worship.
- I signed up for an online course regarding worship. There’s a lot to take in, but so far, so good!
- I’ve made a commitment to running 18 kilometers (11.2 miles) per week for 2018. That will put me over 1,000k and nearly double what I did last year. I think it’s a manageable pace and so far, so good.
- 2018 will include another 3 month trip back to the States and one of the biggest speaking engagements of my life.
- Our Cafe continues to make forward progress. I have the blessing of walking alongside leadership to promote healthy spiritual life and onward growth.
I’m sure there will be more. What are you looking forward to in 2018?